“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me.”
FAITH FORMATION (formerly CCD or Rel. Ed.) REGISTRATION for ST. JOAN of ARC and ST. LOUISE de MARILLAC WILL IS OPEN.
FAITH FORMATION CLASSES AT BOTH ST. JOAN OF ARC AND ST. LOUISE DE MARILLAC WILL BEGIN THE WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 9, 2019.
The 2019-2020 CALENDAR IS AVAILABLE 2019-2020 Catechetical Calendar
Fr. Joe’s Faith Formation letter to St. Joan and St. Louise parishioners below:
Dear Families, Catechists and Friends,
I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to meet with a number of you last month, in late March, to talk about building a new, united Faith Formation Ministry serving both St. Joan of Arc and St. Louise de Marillac parishes. The input of our families and catechists was most valuable in guiding some of the decisions and considerations which I have made together with our CCD/Religious Education staff members of both parishes.
You are aware that the On Mission for the Church Alive! pastoral plan for our diocese has brought St. Joan parish together with St. Louise as one ‘parish grouping.’ The re-assignment of some clergy and the change in our Mass schedule this past October was not the end of that plan, but rather a beginning. Our goal for all of the people of St. Joan and St. Louise is to grow together into one vibrant parish community working to build more effective ministries. It is in this spirit of hope and of ongoing renewal for the life of our parish that we are taking these next steps.
What’s happening in the coming year?
- We will have one Faith Formation Program serving our parish grouping (both St. Joan and St. Louise) beginning with this coming academic/catechetical year.
- Faith Formation programs will be offered at both Joan and St. Louise church sites.
- All parishioners of each parish are welcomed to register their students in whichever program(s) best suit their family and student needs, at either church location.
- Classroom Faith Formation will meet weekly:
- Mondays, 4:45-6 pm for grades K-5 at St. Louise.
- Wednesdays, 6:15-7:30 pm for grades K-5 at St. Joan.
- Thursdays, 6:15-7:30 pm for grades 1-8 at St. Louise.
- EDGE Middle School Program, for 6th, 7th and 8th graders, will meet twice per month:
- Mondays, 4:30-6:15 pm at St. Louise
- Wednesdays, 6-7:45 pm at St. Joan.
- The Home school Faith Formation Program will be available to all families of both parishes, for all grades (1-8), now including students in ‘Sacramental Years’ (2nd and 8th graders preparing for First Communion and Confirmation).
- Our Faith Formation Ministry will be served by 3 full-time ministry positions: a Director of Faith Formation for Primary Grades (K-5), a Director of Faith Formation for Middle School Grades (6-8), and a Director of Youth Ministry and Evangelization. They will be working together as one team, assisted by support staff, based in a common office to be located at the St. Joan of Arc parish building.
What is our vision for the future?
At our March meetings I shared with you some insights gathered from recent studies indicating the increasing rate of teens and young adults choosing to leave the Catholic Church, and very often laying aside any church affiliation. The details and reasons for this sad trend are many, and there is no simple solution at hand. Lay leaders and clergy in our Church are increasingly seeing this as an opportune moment to approach Faith Formation and Evangelization with a renewed commitment and with an openness to new approaches to better meet the needs of our children, teens, young adults and families. Working together to establish a united Faith Formation Ministry and consolidating our programs is an important beginning. We all need time to adjust to changes in our schedules and to build relationships. We will remain committed to better integrating Faith Formation and Evangelization with our parish life, and to exploring many new ideas and current best practices already used in other parish communities – all with the goal of encouraging one another to grow in our relationship with Jesus and with His Church. Please pray with me that the Lord will bless this new beginning which is already well established on the faith and good works of our parish families, catechists, volunteers and staff.
Sincerely in Christ,
We are pleased to offer families a number of options for your child(ren)’s Religious Formation. Questions are welcome in the Faith Formation Center at 412-835-1155 or email@example.com
Religious Education Classes for Grades K – 8 (Mid-September – Mid-April) Registration begins late April/early May. This program complies with the curriculum guidelines of the Diocese of Pittsburgh. The (optional) Kindergarten class is offered during two sessions, Monday or Wednesday afternoons.
Sessions for Grades K-8:
|Monday @ St. Louise
Monday @ St. Louise
Wednesday @ St. Joan
Wednesday @ St. Joan
Thursday @ St. Louise
Thursday both parishes
|4:45 – 6:00 p.m.
4:30 – 6:15 p.m.
6:15 – 7:30 p.m.
6:00 – 7:45 p.m.
6:15 – 7:30 p.m.
6:00 – 7:15 p.m.
EDGE Gr. 6-8 only
EDGE Gr. 6-8 only
Home School is available for (Grades K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8)
Registration is required.
Home School Session Dates:
- Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 6:00 pm @ STL School Cafeteria
- Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 6:00 pm @ SJA Gathering Place
Following Home School Sessions are:
- Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 6:00-7:15 pm @ SJA Gathering Place
- Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 6:00-7:15 pm @ STL LeGras Hall lower
- Tuesday, March 3, 2020 at 6:00-7:15 pm @ SJA Gathering Place
- Tuesday, April 19, 2020 at 6:00-7:15 pm @ STL LeGras Hall lower
- Test will be on-line… not at any of the above home school family sessions.
EDGE Middle School Ministry
EDGE is St. Louise’s new program for Middle School Ministry & Formation for students in grades 6, 7 & 8. It satisfies Religious Education requirements for grades 6-8 meeting twice per month (if calendar permits) on Monday evenings from 4:30-6:15pm at St. Louise and on Wednesday evenings from 6:00-7:45pm at St. Joan. The program is held in a large group setting with small grade level discussion break-out sessions. Currently, our Youth Minister, Jason Zych is leading EDGE. Questions… please contact Jason at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-833-5757. You may visit the Life Teen/EDGE website link below:
CVOL (Catholic Vision of Love) to be announced.
The Catholic Vision of Love is the chastity education program that is part of our religious education and school formation curricula. It is so important that we understand our role as families in forming our children in The Faith, so that they may grow in excellence reverencing always the dignity of who they are and how live each day in response to Christ’s everlasting love.